Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day: Shamrock Shakes in Manhattan

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone and an even happier one for me because as reported by the Gothamist earlier today the McDonald's in Union Square started serving the elusive Shamrock Shake within the confines of Manhattan.


For those who were unfortunate to grow up without the Shamrock Shake, my deepest regrets. You can read what one is here, read how it hasn't been served in any Manhattan McDonald's here and even find where they are serving them or not throughout the country here. My girlfriend MW hadn't even heard of one until I told her about them last week when my friend MM peaked my interest in the seasonal treat after downing one in Chicago.

Ignorance may be bliss for New Yorkers and Long Islanders who never had the privilege of drinking one of these, as they undoubtedly don't know what they are missing out on as each March dawns; but I'm not so lucky as I grew up drinking them in Rochester, New York. So imagine my disappointment after heading to a McDonald's in Midtown last week, as my conversation went something like this:

DAsian: "Excuse me, do you serve shamrock shakes?."
McEmployee: "Um, yeah we serve shakes."
DAsian: "No, not any old milkshake, do you serve SHAMROCK SHAKES?"
McEmployee: "What is that? I'll have to ask my manager."

After a minute the employee returned with her manager who said she too has never heard of such a thing. Pissed off about the entire incident and envious of all who were drinking these, I accepted the fact that there would be no Shamrock Shake for me this year. That is, until I received a bbm from MM with a link detailing that like the Loch Ness Monster or Big Foot, there was confirmed sightings of the Shamrock Shake at the McDonald's in Union Square. Before getting as excited as a fox in a hen house I called to confirm that this so-called sighting was genuine. Indeed it was and I was out the door faster than Usaine Bolt.


After finding the McDonald's I finally ordered my large Shamrock Shake. So after all the trouble was the Shamrock Shake worth all of the hassle? You bet your sweet ass it was. Minty, sweet, smooth and creamy it was everything I remembered and more; as in my case absence makes the heart grow fonder. I only hope that next year at least one Manhattan McDonald's will choose to bring back the Shamrock Shake.


McDonald's
39 Union Square West
New York, NY 10003
(212) 645-9079

http://mcdonalds.com/

To see all our pics, please click the flickr link.

McDonald's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment