Monday, September 13, 2010

Music Monday: Getting Wackie

I've recently been getting into the sound of Bullwackie-- real name Lloyd Barnes. Significantly, he was one of the first reggae producers of note based out of the United States (Bronx, NY, to be specific). The Bullwackie sound is similar to a lot of Lee Perry productions-- dark and foreboding-- with a raw sound that exemplified the ad hoc aspect of reggae. Though the original studio opened in the mid-70's, Bullwackie now has new digs and continues to record and produce artists to this day.

These are two of my favorite tracks from Wackie's studio, but I've only just scratched the surface. First, is the female duo the Love Joys, singing "All I can Say."





Next is Wayne Jarrett, sounding like Horace Andy, with the powerful "You and I."



Unbelievably good tunes. Hope you like them and have a wonderful Music Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment