Monday, December 13, 2010

Music Monday: Happy Holidays

Albeit a tad pre-mature, considering today is my last Music Monday post before Christmas, I've decided to run with the holiday theme and showcase some of my favorite seasonal tunes. Despite the fact that holiday songs - Christmas in particular - painfully reminds me of Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas," I've managed to assemble a few songs that, contrary to the aforementioned one, most assuredly do not suck. Perhaps my favorite Christmas related song is The Ramones, "Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight)." No explanation needed here, the Ramones rock and so does this song, plus the video is pretty damn funny, especially at the :28 mark when the wife screams, "I don't have any friends."



I owe my older siblings a bit of gratitude for introducing me to the following song. Growing up in the 80's, I'm a closet fan of almost anything New Wave, so it goes without saying that I absolutely love The Waitresses, "Christmas Wrapping."



I love Christmas and being able to spend time with my family, but Blink 182's song, "I Won't Be Home for Christmas," is a reminder that all of the holiday hoopla can make even the best of us lose it.



Death Cab for Cutie's cover of the song, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)," is another personal favorite.



Recently, Target released The Christmas Gig, a holiday album containing 14 tracks available for free here. Although initially skeptical of Target's choice in music, I was shocked to hear several great tunes, including an absolute gem from a Best Coast/Wavves collaboration titled, "Got Something for You."



Regardless of your favorite holiday songs, let me be the first of us to wish you all a happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment