Monday, August 16, 2010

Music Monday: Scratch on Tuesday

I already dedicated a Music Monday in July to Lee Scratch Perry, but, with his impending show at the Highline Ballroom on Tuesday night, he is again on my mind. This is especially true since I just missed him on his last show in New York City-- a free concert in Central Park with Alpha Blondy that was far more crowded than I had expected (they stopped letting people into the pavilion about five feet in front of us). We ended up sitting on the lawn listening to Alpha Blondy's rendition of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" in the distance and Scratch long gone. Good afternoon, but a major disappointment.

And so, because of Scratch's advanced age (but seemingly perfect health), I do not intend on being so cavalier about another rare opportunity to see him in concert. I'm not expecting the greatest show in the world, but hopefully my low expectations will shield me from a letdown while still allowing for the possibility that I'm blown away.

Scratch's real talents lie as a producer, but there's something to be said for his unique singing voice, which can only be described as an acquired taste (a taste which also sometimes involved rapping). Here's a Scratch-ified version of "Soul Man."



One more after the jump.


"Dreadlocks in Moonlight" is considered by many to be one of his best vocals. I like the riddim and effects, which epitomizes the Black Ark (Wikipedia link, sorry) sound, but I like the vocals in Soul Man better. For more on the Black Ark (and Scratch), check out this article by Mick Sleeper at Eternal Thunder.



Have a great Music Monday (and maybe I'll see some of you at the concert on Tuesday)!

No comments:

Post a Comment