Friday, January 21, 2011

Eat This Sandwich Now!

Since I'm in court in downtown Brooklyn pretty often, Mile End has become a go-to lunch spot. Like Serious Eats, I'm not a huge fan of the smoked meat, but I love the rest of the lunch menu (I need to try dinner, especially for kasha varnishkes). Today, I had an amazing chicken salad sandwich that I feel compelled to write about.


Things started right when I watched the poppy-seeded bread being griddled with a schmear of schmaltz. Spread on top was a simple chicken salad, tasting like it contained even more schmaltz inside. A layer of crispy gribenes-- fried chicken skin-- provided crunch and chicken flavor, while dill pickled cucumbers and pickled cherry peppers cut right through the middle. A perfect harmony of salad and toppings.

I don't think I've ever had a better chicken salad sandwich. Eat it now!

Mile End
97 Hoyt St
Brooklyn, NY 11217

Mile End on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. did you say schmaltz AND gribenes? wow, i think i'm in love...

    ReplyDelete